Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Girls get sappy sometimes.

I've been falling in love since I was born.
I fell in love with mobiles and pacifiers and other shiney things.
I fell in love with characteristics - types of smiles, tearful and joyful. Types of laughs, nervous and ecstatic. Types of kisses, loving and playful.
I fell in love with music - classical piano, the stylings of my aunt. Country love songs, the improv of my father. Gospel praise and worship, the weekly uplift from my family's church.
I fell in love with feelings. Feeling motivated, feeling proud, feeling safe.

And now I love you.

Because when I am weak, you console me, you pacify me, and you distract me.
When I am nervous, you soothe my tense face with a kiss.
When I am misunderstood, you play the tunes that remind me of who I am and always will be.
And when I feel nothing because pain and hurt have smothered me like a blanket on a wild fire, you make me feel again.

I didn't start falling in love with you when I first met you, not even when I first kissed you.
I started falling in love with you the moment I began to exist.
Because all of these things, these bright and beautiful things, led me to appreciate and love who you are even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment