I need identity.
I lose it from time to time.
I see what I thought was me on the faces of others, in the fashions of others, in the haircuts of others.
And I struggle.
I struggle because I want things to define me. I want to be complimented - I want to be noticed - I want to be accomplished.
And then I realize how silly it is to want things to define me, when it is much more pleasurable for me to define things. I want to know myself, know my truth, and know that no one can take my guts away from me. I want to be complimented for my efforts, for my knowledge, for my intellect - not for my hairstyle. I want to be noticed for my academic achievement, my writings, my love for others - not my clothes. I want to be accomplished in treating others the way I want to be treated, and then some...
Because these things, these truths are inevitable and they will never fail me.
And that, my friends, is real. That is my identity.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment