I know I'm a writer.
Not because I think I know fancy words, or because I used to get good grades in English.
Not because I think it's fun, or because it feels natural.
I know I'm a writer because when I first heard "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe in the seventh grade, I went home and read it until I had it memorized, and then recited it to myself until I fell asleep. I get a knot in my throat when Natasha Bedingfield sings, "Nothing I write is ever good enough" and when Maroon 5 says, "Tap on my window, knock on my door. I want to make you feel beautiful." I smile to myself every time I watch Grey's Anatomy because there is a certain writer that has an intensely specific style of writing that is impossible for me to ignore. I get tears in my eyes when I hear a toast, and I can't resist how wonderfully bible verses are written. I feel like I can get to know someone fully by seeing their handwriting. I am an English major, even though it seems impractical.
I know I'm a writer.
And I will be what I know I am.
After all, how could I live with myself if I wasn't?
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment