Thursday, August 13, 2009

I am serious, and please don't call me Shirley.

I have fears, you know... And not just of large birds and tight spaces.
I have fears of settling for something smaller than I.
Fears of not taking the chances that the person inside of me is dying to take.
Fears of losing love.
Fears of losing my mind.
Fears of losing my keys.
Fears of losing.
Fears of being full of fear.

I have these things, but I push them.
I push them into that horrible feeling in my stomach...
and then I breathe them out.
I push them into that tense space in my jaws, in my forehead, and into my back…
and then I release them.
I push them into the concrete when I walk, and then…

I slip into a dance.
And I sing.
And I laugh.
And I run.
And I love.
Because these things, in all of their greatness, are not superior.
Conquer some love, and it will handle the rest.

2 comments:

  1. you are a lovely writer, katie b! i love it. gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I push them into that horrible feeling in my stomach...
    and then I breathe them out."

    love it.

    ReplyDelete