Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My big, fat ass.

Today at work, I had two encounters with women that shook my very core. One woman, tried on every jean we carry, refused to come out (where there is proper light) and get a second opinion. She then came out, red-faced and flustered and said she's "too fat" and is working on losing weight, so she wasn't going to buy any. I repeatedly told her she was gorgeous, and told her I recently went up a size in jeans because my hips won't quit, and we exchanged dressing room horror stories. Later, another woman came in to try on a couple of items. She came out and said she felt "so fat that she didn't want to try any more on." This broke my heart.

Listen ladies, I know we all joke about weight gain and loss, and I know we all hate our bodies. But why? If we don't like something that's changeable, why don't we just change it? And if we're content, why can't we stop talking about it? Women's self-image is so out of wack that we can't even try a pair of jeans on without going into a deep, dark depression.

So, I challenge you.
Take your clothes off.
Yes, all of them.
Take your clothes off and look in a full length mirror.
Take your clothes off and walk around your home.
Take your clothes off and do the dishes, do the laundry, or catch up on some reading.
Be comfortable.
Find the things you love, and thank yourself for them.
Find the things you could really do without, and make a plan to fix them.
Either way, treat your body well - with good and healthy food, lots of hugs and kisses, and a good jog in the morning.

Love your love-handles and hug your hips.
Because they're yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment